Description of the Focus Area:
We are a transdisciplinary group of academic researchers coming from fields of biochemistry, biology, genetics, microbiology, toxicology, medicinal chemistry, ethnobotany and biotechnology working together at the interface linking natural products to human health and nutrition and agriculture. Many of our programs have a strong international focus.
To provide first-rate research and education in natural products and their impact on human health.
- Study basic mechanisms of natural product mode of action and toxicity.
- Discover, identify, and characterize bioactives from plant and fungi using multidisciplinary approaches.
- Develop novel uses for natural products as medicines, foods, cosmetics, dietary supplements, and crop protection agents.
- Integrate natural products into animal, nutrition, pharmaceutical, and clinical research.
- Support natural product research in developing countries.